Born in Hilo on the Big Island, Chef Sheldon acquired his love for cooking from his parents. His path led from Hilo High to the Culinary Institute of the Pacific onto an internship at Walt Disney World. Upon returning to Hawaii, Sheldon attended Maui Culinary Academy. Sheldon competed in the 10th season of Bravo Network’s Top Chef: Seattle as a finalist and winning Fan Favorite. He has recently opened up his very restaurant, Tin Roof in Kahului, Maui, and serves up local dishes in take-out bowls.
Chef Sheldon’s food is a playful, fun take on classic dishes. His mix of innovative modern cuisine and adherence to tradition influence his dishes and help shape his menus. His growing legion of loyal fans will attest to his award winning creativity and palate. Chef Sheldon welcomes customers to his restaurant as he would his home with a relaxed community atmosphere.
Chef Sheldon’s Awards and Accolades:
- 2016-17 Season 14 Top Chef Charleston
- 2015 Hawaii Magazine’s Top 5 Best Hawaiian Chefs
- 2015 Hawaii Magazine’s Best Hawaiian Restaurant “MiGRANT”
- 2014 Hawaii Magazine’s Top 5 Best Hawaiian Chefs
- 2014 FOOD & WINE Magazines 2014 People’s Best New Chef for the Pacific & Northwest
- 2014 Best Chef and Best New Restaurant, 2014 Maui Time Reader’s Poll
- 2013 Maui No Ka Oi Magazine Aipono Awards Chef of the Year (vote by other chefs)
- 2013 Maui News Best of Maui: Maui’s Best Chef
- 2012-13 Season 10 Top Chef Seattle, Finalist, Fan Favorite
- 2012 Food & Wine Magazine’s People’s Choice Best New Chef for the Pacific & Northwest
- 2012 Two James Beard Award nominations for Rising Star Chef of the Year and Best New Restaurant
- 2012 Starchefs.com Hawaii Rising Star Concept Chef
- 2011 Maui No Ka Oi Magazine Aipono Awards Chef of the Year